There are less expensive places to go to study Tropical Marine Biology but they have a greater volume of tourists. Although volume reduces cost it also reduces the quality of the environment and the quality of your experience. Here are some other reasons to come.
– Group leaders can come FREE !
– TREC offers all the materials and support staff you need. We will do as much or as little as you want, running the entire class if you so desire.
– Second Largest Barrier Reef in the world half a mile from the classroom and lab.
– Healthiest Reef in the Caribbean
–Academically dedicated facility
– Mayan Ruins and culture easily accessible
– Globalism – change students lives by changing their perspective
– People Bilingual in English and Spanish (trilingual if you count Creol). English is the National Language.
– Lowest rainfall level in Belize. Rain increases by over 300% from north to south Belize.
– Friendly, with a relatively high standard of living, no begging, no harassment.
– Medical – Recompression chamber, more than 6 doctors locally, 2 medical clinics, Registered Nurse on staff.
– Safety on streets and beaches. Any travel warnings on Belize are based on Belize City far from San Pedro.
– Easy, all inclusive pricing.
– Security Personal security has become more of an issue in recent years. We have a good 20 year record and intend to keep it that way. Belize Marine TREC is an academically dedicated facility. There are no people at the facility but students and staff. We are not open to the general public. Meals are served in a family style. No alcohol is served at the facility. The staff is a small group of dedicated people who all have 6 or more years with us. No inappropriate consorting of staff and students has ever occurred. Ambergris Caye is a small island where boat and golf cart are the main forms of transport. Students are kept quite busy from early morning till night with physical and academic activities. There is little time to get into trouble. Supervision and contact hours between professors and students is about 13 hours daily. Finally, the buddy system is required at all times. No one is ever alone unless they’re in el bano.